Why should you consider Building with cold-formed steel framing?
Steel framing can lower construction costs.
- Warranty call-backs are minimized because steel does not shrink, split, or warp. As a result, there are no nail pops or drywall cracks to fix after the structure is completed.
- Consistent quality means that scrap is drastically reduce (2% for steel versus 20% for wood). These savings also translate into lower costs for jobsite culling of wood materials and haul off and disposal of discarded material.
- Discounts on builders risk insurance for steel framed structures can result in significant cost savings for builders.
Steel framing is easier to handle because steel studs weigh 1/3 less than wood studs, and can be installed at 24” on center.
- Steel framing offers marketing advantages because consumers recognize steel as a superior framing product for its fundamental characteristics:
- Long term maintenance costs are reduced because steel is resistant to rot, mold, termite and insect infestation.
- Good indoor air quality (IAQ) is promoted because steel does not emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Steel is “Green” because it contains a minimum of 25% recycled steel and is 100% recyclable.
- Steel framing has proven performance in high wind and seismic zones.
The non-combustibility of steel allows a significant density increase in commercial and multi-family structures, offering building owners with the potential for higher revenue.